Saturday, February 21, 2009

Sadly, It's me.

Sometimes, when I lay alone in my bed I can see the shadows dancing around me. I can feel the whispers, and I can smell the rotting earth. Sadly, it's not you, its me. I can't stand the smell of you anymore and I can't stand to look at you anymore. I start running, and I can feel my heart pounding in my chest, my lungs expanding, my brain is going in circles.

Suddenly its raining, the drops beating me softly into the ground, I don't run, I don't move I just stand there listening to people yelling, and I can hear the rain beating the ground. I can smell that rotting scent, I can feel the shadows surround me.

I wake up and I'm on the bathroom floor, I'm on the bathroom floor, the cold tile pressing against my cheeks, the smell of bleach raping my senses, bringing me to a kneeling position. My throat is burning, my tongue is dry, my joints scream out.

I move silently through my house, noticing the way the lights from the Christmas tree illuminate the tile floor, I notice the way the cold tile feels on my feet and the smell of vanilla mixed with pine mingles in the air. I hear the cat mew and the dogs snore.

I slowly make my way back into my bedroom, the smell of freshly washed sheets and vanilla calming my senses. I quietly find my way to the center of my bed, making sure not to creak the mattress.

As I lay on my bed, the shadows dance around me, and the smell of rotting earth fades, It wasn't you all along, it was me.

No comments: